So, Paula and I both took off from work early on Wendesday to get a head start on our 380 mile drive from Orange County, CA to Scottsdale, AZ for Thanksgiving weekend. We’ve been going to Scottsdale for Thanksgiving ever since we’ve lived in California to spend time with Paula’s mom, who flies in from Chicago, and her side of the family.
We got packed and ready the night before, so we loaded up the car and the dogs and were on the road by 2p. Three hours later, we were 50 miles closer to Scottsdale. Yes, that is correct. We only covered 50 miles in three hours! That’s less than 17 miles per hour! For three hours!
The entire trip ended up taking about eight hours. We’ve made the trip in five-and-a-half hours before. Those first 50 miles really killed us, this time.
We ended up leaving Scottsdale around 11a on Saturday and didn’t think there would be any traffic, thinking that everybody would be driving on Sunday. Unfortunately, we were wrong. The drive back took about six-and-a-half hours, which is a lot better than eight, but still longer than ideal.
So this is a note to myself… No matter what day it is, over Thanksgiving weekend there will always be traffic through the middle part of the day and into the night.
- We’ve hit major traffic starting out in CA at 2p on Wednesday.
- We’ve hit traffic starting out in AZ at 11a on Saturday.
- We’ve hit traffic in CA when starting out in AZ at 2p on Saturday.
- We’ve hit traffic in CA when starting out in AZ at 11a on Saturday.
- We’ve made great time when starting out in CA at 6p on Wednesday.