The ‘stache! Here it is in all its glory! What do you think?
While it was fun to grow out, the point of cultivating my sweet ‘stache is to raise awareness for men’s health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer. I had no idea how widespread prostate cancer was before I was enlightened by a friend whose father passed away from it.
Did you know:
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the 2nd leading cause of male cancer related death.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- Men who are 40 or older should be screened on a regular basis.
- With annual screenings, 9 out of 10 cases are now found early.
- The screening process takes less than 10 minutes.
What was also eye opening for me is that breast cancer receives more than twice the amount of research funding from the government than prostate cancer receives even though the number of cases and deaths are very similar. Like me, I’m sure most of you are very much aware of breast cancer awareness initiatives, but had no idea that prostate cancer affects close to the same number of men. Women have been doing an inspiring job of raising awareness for their cause, whereas it seems men tend to shy away from confronting their own health issues. In fact, 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.
Please help spread the awareness! If you would like to donate to the cause, my team, America’s Mo’s Wanted, has raised $800+ so far. Can you help us hit $1,000?